Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Riches From Within

"Attuned to the music it's truly like praying
it keeps me grounded, I'm astounded..."

--From my song "Here Upon the Keys"


In my young music career, I can't exactly say that I've earned a ton of money so far. There are plenty of other people who have earned more. Yet what I do for a living, and the plans I have at work, are so rich, and give me so much back, that I feel as if I am truly rich. In fact, I feel as if I am one of the lucky people on this planet who is blessed to do something he loves doing.

Today I played a piano show at an Alzheimer's center near where I live. The occasion was a family day where the family of the residents came in and visited with their family member. I hadn't met all of these visitors, but I was quite familiar with the residents they came to visit. That is because I have performed weekly at this particular care center for nearly a year (the first performance i gave there was on July 22nd of last year). This is in fact the first elder care center where I performed (and I have given nearly 150 performances at retirement homes and Alzheimer's centers all over the Bay Area since then). Also, since my grandmother had Alzheimer's before she died, this type of center is important to me personally. I have sort of adopted it is my home base (which is also pretty easy because i live five minutes away from it!).

Playing this show filled me up in ways that go beyond making money (although I was also paid), and lots of great memories fill my mind with satisfaction right now as I think about it. For example, the delighted attention of the audience (residents, family members, and staff) as I improvised a boogie woogie. The pleasure of having one visitor say how lucky she felt that she could sit up and close and listen without having to pay for it. The sweetness of playing a mellow song while one of the staff members danced with a resident. The joy of dressing up in a tux for a crowd that feels complimented to even be considered worthy of dressing up in a tux for. Oh yeah. And the sense that I was serving a purpose greater than myself, a purpose that I was born to fulfill, by giving of my talents to this exceptional group of people who are too often overlooked by the rest of society.


This richness fills me, fuels me, and satisfies me. And I believe it is the basis for me to create the prosperity that I desire. Because I believe true prosperity comes from aligning me using my best talents and strongest passions in service to the world. And when I do that, I feel freaking rich! And the money follows!

This is truly a beautiful thing.


Best,

Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment